I don’t know why I chose this for my first blog post, but I’m hoping i’ll figure it out by the end of this sentence… I still don’t know.
There is nothing more unattractive than a mean girl. Girls think its so cute to put down other girls’ clothes, hair, and bodies just to get a good laugh from the boys surrounding them, and it’s become ridiculous.
I recently attended a drill competition (Basically a dance competition for those of you who don’t know) for my local high school and found myself appalled. I was sitting in front of a rag tag group of high school students, just enjoying myself and watching the dances with much scrutiny (being a retired drill team member myself) when I heard the buzz of female gossip behind me. So of course being naturally inquisitive I tuned into their conversation, and was quite literally filled with rage at what I heard going on behind me… They were commenting on a certain girls appearance in her costume. Not just “Oh, that is not very flattering on her” but “OH MY GOSH SHE IS SO FAT. WHY DOES SHE THINK SHE CAN WEAR THAT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE? I’M GOING TO THROW UP.” I almost turned around and punched her. But my mom taught me better than that.
1. That girl had NO CHOICE. When you are on the drill team, no matter how big you are, you have to wear the same costume as the skinniest girl on the team. Drill is all about being one body. Moving, breathing, and looking like the same person is a big part of your score!
2. That girl was doing something she loved. You could tell by the way she threw herself into the dance and had such a genuine smile on her face that she was genuinely enjoying herself. What were the girls on the bleachers doing with their lives? From what I gathered, their days consisted of straightening their hair, getting fake tans, and vying for the attention of any boy they laid their eyes on.
3. Last but not least I used to be that girl. So their comments hit home.
I’m the one on the right. You’d never look at me and think “Man, she’s obese” But when you’re on a team of 20 other skinny minis, that’s how you feel. You look at them and realize, your costumes don’t fit quite right, or your legs look the size of Russia, when everyone else’s are twigs.
Halfway through my senior year I realized I was sick and tired of feeling that way so I stopped giving myself time to eat. Except at lunch. So no, I did not have an eating disorder, I’m not claiming to have an eating disorder, i’m claiming a hectic life. I got down to my lowest weight of my high school experience (145) and I was ON TOP OF THE WORLD. Boys gave me attention, my costumes started to fit better (but still not quite right) and I felt so good. Until some girls took it upon themselves to make comments about me one day at lunch. I had problems with them for a few years prior (boy drama, a whole other problem entirely) and they decided to tear me down one more time…. right where it hurt. I was wearing leggings that day and as I passed their table one said “Damn, does she really think she can pull those off? Look at her legs.” and I died inside.
No one should have to feel that way about themselves.
Girls are so brutal. They know exactly what to say to put other girls down and they don’t try to stop themselves (or other girls, I don’t think i’ve ever seen another girl stop her friends from gossiping about someone, even when you can see the uncomfortable look in her eyes.) I don’t understand why girls are the way that they are.
If anyone reading this is having trouble with girls, my advice to you is GET SOME EAR PLUGS. Those girls will never amount to anything. A bad ass attitude only gets you so far in life.
It gets you a crappy boyfriend who doesn’t treat you like you deserve, because the good guys look for the good girls. (Not so much in high school, but in real life. You know….The kind that starts after high school)
It gets you a part time job at McDonalds or Wal-Mart, because employers of high-end companies want someone they can depend on that will bring a good energy into their workspace and they can sense the kind of person you are from you walking into a room.
It gets you 3 screaming kids who get into all kinds of trouble in school, because you did not take the time to learn to be kind to others, so who will teach them?? It was your job.
And it starts a vicious cycle. There will ALWAYS be mean girls. There will always be someone to put you down. But you have to remember to DO THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY. And if that means having that extra slice of pizza…. girl you go for it. If it means wearing a bikini even if you’ve got a few extra pounds to shed….GO FOR IT. Don’t coast through life doing things halfway and not having as much fun as you possibly can just because you feel the need to conform to everyone else’s standards of beauty or brains.
And that’s my rant. If you are one of those mean girls, I feel sorry for you. Because being mean and putting people down never gets you anywhere in life. Pick a new hobby before it’s too late.
- Morgan.
No comments:
Post a Comment